I know these little energy bites/balls have been around for quite some time now, but I am just getting around to making my own batch! I have seen umpteen recipes for these on the different blogs I follow, and have about a billion of them bookmarked. It’s been on my to-do list to make them for so long, yet I continued to put it off for some reason. Little did I know they would take me a short 10 minutes to put together. I love that you just mix the ingredients, roll them together, and put them in the fridge for later, no baking involved!
These energy bites are the perfect snack for post workout, something to tide you over till lunch or dinner, or even if you’re just hanging out at home! I love how easy they are to take with you to work or anywhere you may be going where you need a fast, quick, non-messy snack. If you have kids, they are also a great snack to send with them to school. Quick, easy and healthy is what we need these days, right?!
There are a lot of different variations to these energy bites, but for now, I stuck to a pretty simple recipe. Every ingredient in these bites is pure and clean from the oats to the honey to the cacao nibs. If you don’t have all of the ingredients in my recipe, feel free to customize as you choose or add what you like! Thankfully these energy bites are very flexible and forgiving when it comes to this recipe. I prefer to use crunchy almond butter because I love that crunch from the small broken pieces of almond, whereas others may prefer that smooth texture of creamy almond butter. Don’t have almond butter? Use peanut butter! These bites are soft, chocolaty, naturally sweetened, and most importantly…delicious! I recommend letting them sit in the fridge for at least a couple hours if not overnight, to really let all of those flavors set in. Comment below if you try a different variation, I’d love to hear about them! Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup gluten-free quick cooking oats (can use any kind of oats)
- 2 tbsp milled golden flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp crunchy almond butter, peanut butter, or any kind of nut butter
- 1 tbsp pure honey
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp chocolate PB2 or regular PB2
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs, crushed
- Stir together oats, flaxseed, cacao powder, and cinnamon in medium bowl
- Put nut butter and honey into small bowl and heat in microwave for 10-15 seconds
- Stir that together and spoon onto dry ingredients
- Now mix your 4 tbsp of PB2 with a little water until it makes a smooth, creamy peanut butter-like paste (Only add a little bit of water at a time, so it doesn't become too watery)
- Add PB2 and vanilla to bowl
- Take your 1 tbsp of cacao nibs and place into small Ziploc bag, crush with any kitchen item you have handy
- Lastly add the cacao nibs and stir all of the ingredients together (make sure to keep moving it around and pressing the dry and wet ingredients together)
- Roll mixture into small balls (about 1"wide) and chill in the fridge for minimum 1 hour or longer for best taste
- Can store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week
- By The Kelli Kollection