This veggie bowl, as I call it, has been one of my go to meals for three years now. I have it at least three nights a week for lunch or dinner and I can’t imagine my life without it :). I sometimes pair it with my sweet potato fries, which makes it even more enjoyable. This is one of those dinners that I look forward to through out the entire day and I can’t wait to just sit down with my veggie bowl and sweet potato fries and watch one of my favorite shows.
I am a huge planner and routine-person, so I would plan to have this on Monday and Thursday nights. When I started Nursing School, I always had long clinical days on Thursdays, so I really enjoyed coming home and making a satisfying meal that I also enjoyed. I would make sure it timed perfect, so that I would be sitting with my veggie bowl and sweet potato fries just as Grey’s Anatomy was starting haha! It is such a rewarding meal to me for some reason and I never get sick of it. As far as Monday’s go, I usually have my cheat days on Sundays, so I wanted to pack in those veges on Monday!
This meal is as simple as it sounds folks…a TON of veggies just cooked stove top with some seasonings and dressing added to it. Despite the name, there is some chicken in there too…got to get my protein in! The combination of these veggies is so good and it fills you up! It is always a good feeling when you can enjoy a meal, while at the same time knowing that it is SO good for you. Do you know how many servings of veggies you are getting in this bowl? A LOT! If there is anyone around you while you make this I guarantee they will say, “Wow that is just for you, isn’t that a lot for just one person?”. All you do is turn to them and say, “Yep it is all for me!”. There is no shame is eating this many veges in one meal, I mean hello it is vegetables, not cookies.
I make these veggies with about 20 minutes left on my sweet potato fries, so that they both get done at the same time. I just had it for dinner tonight, so now that I am writing about it I’m thinking about it all over again. Day dreaming about your meals…a true foodie right here! This bowl is colorful, flavorful and oh so good. What is one of your go-to meals that you never get sick of?
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 cup sliced yellow summer squash
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips and then in half
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, cut into strips and then in half
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, cut into strips and then in half
- 10-15 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 baked chicken breast, cut into cubes
- Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb
- Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Maple Grove or Bolthouse Farms Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Several splashes of Red Wine Vinegar
- Rinse and dry all of your vegetables
- Spray pan with EVOO
- As you cut up your veggies, add them to the pan (I usually do zucchini, squash, peppers, broccoli)
- Cut the grape tomatoes in half, but do not add them to the pan just yet
- Have your pan at medium-high heat
- Every 2-3 minutes toss around your veggies so they get evenly cooked
- About half way through the cooking (10 minutes) add a sprinkle of one Mrs. Dash seasoning on top
- Once veggies are mostly cooked (soft and a little brown to the zucchini and squash), add the halved grape tomatoes
- After the tomatoes have cooked for a couple minutes, add your half of cut up cubed chicken breast
- Add the other Mrs. Dash seasoning
- Only cook for about 2 more minutes, since chicken is already baked
- Toss around in bowl, drizzle balsamic and red wine vinegar over top, add a little garlic and onion powder and serve in a BIG bowl!
- Tip: Have a chicken breast already baked and ready beforehand
- By The Kelli Kollection